The Starohutsky vodopad (Waterfall of Stara Huta) (GPS: 48.427064,18.576503) national nature reserve. It is located on an unnamed stream perhaps 300 m to the North from the hamlet of Stara Huta (a part of Nova Bana). The height of the waterfall is 5 m. The rocky wall runs from the waterfall in the direction of Jasekova skala (rock) at a height of around 10 m.
The Bujakov vrch nature reserve (GPS: 48.466015,18.58992): (1.26 ha) located on the cadastral boundary between Velka Lehota and Nova Bana, perhaps halfway between the mountain Vojsin and Sedlova skala (Saddle Rock). The subject of protection is one of the northern-most occurrences of the great pasque flower in central Slovakia. In the surroundings it is possible to also see other rare plants like the Turk’s cap lily or the Western marsh orchid.
Stamproch (GPS: 48.27338,18.385023), Haj (GPS: 48.440533,18.662682), Havrania skala (Raven Rock) (GPS: 48.421397,18.652586) and Cervena skala (Red Rock) (GPS: 48.421326,18.648101): are locations linked to the Haj rhyolite massif, which reaches an elevation of 712.5 m a.s.l, east from the Nova Bana basin. Stone quarries in the localities Stamproch and Haj served from medieval times for the extraction of rhyolite – a material used for the production of mill stones. Traces of this are still visible today. The sharp ridge, running from the peak point of Haj to the south toward Havrania skala (Raven Rock), offers morphologically interesting formations, for example, extensive natural rocks of uncovered rhyolite, or a hillside scree observable even from the valley of the river Hron. From Havrania skala (Raven Rock) with a height of the stone escarpment of 30-40 m, it is possible to admire the meander of the river Hron in the surroundings of Brehy and Tekovska Breznica and a panoramic view of Stiavnicke vrchy (Stiavnica Mountains). Cervena skala (Red Rock) is only a 10-minute walk from Havrana in a western direction and offers, however, a completely different view over the surrounding countryside.
Sedlova skala (Saddle Rock) (GPS: 48.446111,18.5975): is one of the most beautiful stops on the Vojsin Nature Trail. A giant wall of andesite is located to the northwest from Nova Bana at an elevation of 777.6 m a.s.l. This viewpoint is among the highest in the surroundings of Nova Bana and offers a nice view on the panorama of the Kremnicke vrchy (Kremnica Mountains), but also Stiavnicke vrchy (Stiavnica Mountains) and its highest peak, Sitno.
Vrablikova skala (rock) (GPS: 48.252987,18.353090): is located on the northern slope of the mountain Firceng, to the left from the road from Nova Bana to Stara Huta. For more capable hikers able to handle the 4-metre climb up the rock wall to the peak, the view from the stone bench hewn into the cliff to the Nova Bana basin will be a pleasant surprise.
Protected trees in the region not only represent the dominant landscape-forming elements or dendrological items of interest but are also living monuments of significant historical events.
Such is the large-leaved linden tree (Tilia platyphillos) growing near the parish church in Nova Bana. It was planted in 1726, on the occasion of repair of the church burned by the Turkish army. During its 277 years the circumference of its trunk has reached an unbelievable 584 cm and the tree has attained a height of 25 metres. The giant crown of the tree has a diameter of 22 m.
Among the original trees which served the local farmers as genetic material for obtaining new varieties of cultural trees, are, for example, the common European pear (Pyrus communis), which grows in the area of Nova Bana crofts. At 300 years of age and with a trunk circumference of 310 cm and its silviculture significance, it deserved being added to the list of protected trees.
The list is particularly made up of species which were brought here purposefully. Eight samples of giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) grow at four different local sites. In California, from where they originated, this tree reaches height of up to 100 m.
At the Salasiska location near Nova Bana there are 5 burly, century-old trees with typical red-brown peeling bark. The gigantic trunks, with a circumference up to 380 cm, and heights up to 30 m magnify their majesty. In the region is also a morphologically exceptional 85-year old sequoia growing in Nova Bana, in the Hradza district. It has a height of 23 m and a trunk circumference of 477 cm. The tallest individual (34 m) grows in the park near the Kohutovo pilgrimage chapel. The sequoia in the locality of Feriancov Rigel now has, unfortunately, a broken peak to its crown due to a lightning strike.
Another among the non-native species is the tulip tree (Liriodendron tulipifera). Although the original area of its occurrence is North America, it also successfully grows in the grounds of the Lipa Day Centre for Seniors on a Street in Nova Bana. It is 100 years old, has a trunk circumference of 207 cm and is 18 m tall. It is characterised by the exceptional shape of its leaves and the beauty of its flowers.
The Checkers tree (Sorbus torminalis) growing on Sitarov vrch (peak) in Nova Bana is the dendrological dominant of the Nova Bana crofts. The tree has grown to a trunk circumference of 232 cm, a height of 21 m and a crown diameter of 15 m.
An exceptionally rare exemplar is the common English vine (Hedera helix) growing in the cemetery in Nova Bana. The main reason for its protection is its association with the historical events from the revolutionary years of 1848 – 49.
In the region is also a morphologically exceptional 85-year old sequoia growing in Nova Bana, in the Hradza district. It has a height of 23 metres and a trunk circumference of 477 cm. The tallest individual (34 m) grows in the park near the Kohutovo pilgrimage chapel.
The Town Hall (GPS: 48.423859,18.639987), a cultural landmark. This dominant feature of the town was built in the 14th century, probably as a royal house. The Mining Prefect, to whom miners delivered precious metals to be tested for their purity, was based here. The originally four-storey Gothic fortified building was rebuilt after a fire in the first half of the 18th century, when the top floor was removed and a square tower was added. In 1972 the building became home to a museum.
The parish Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary (GPS: 48.425874,18.636112), a cultural landmark – Roman Catholic, the originally Gothic church was built in the second half of the 14th century. During unrest in 1433 and 1442 it was burned. In the 17th century the Turkish army desecrated the church – they used it as a stable for horses. When they left Nova Bana in May 1664, they completely destroyed it. The church literally rose from the ruins, when in the years 1725-1729 the town had it rebuilt again. The originally single-nave building was rebuilt in the Baroque style into a triple-nave basilica, vaulted by a crossed arch. The Gothic elements can still be seen in the presbytery and on the gable of the facade.
The Gothic Church of St. Elisabeth (GPS: 48.421255,18.64283), also called the hospital chapel, cultural landmark – a single-nave construction, vaulted by a cross-ribbed vault – is one of the oldest architectural monuments in the town. Its position in 1931 was closely associated with the neighbouring hospital. The facade of the building was decorated with the stone coat-of-arms of the Chamber Count Henzmanus Izenrinkel, founder of the church. The main altar was built at the start of the 18th century with the use of older details. The central motif is a Renaissance relief of the Last Supper. In the church is also found a sizeable oil painting from the end of the 19th century.
Henzmanus Izenrinkel (GPS: 48.421555,18.642627) had the miner’s hospital (today the Leisure time centre) built simultaneously with the church, as a shelter for old and invalided miners. The miner’s hospital in Nova Bana ranked among the oldest hospital and social facilities in Central Europe.
The Trinity Column (GPS: 48.423846,18.639993), a cultural landmark, was built in front of the Town Hall building in the years 1843-1846.The late-Classicist statue group of the Holy Trinity by Jozef Neuschl-Farago reposes on a column from Nova Bana rhyolite in the shape of a tall prism, divided by severe columns. In the niches along the sides are found statues of the Virgin Mary, St. Stephen, St. Helen and St. Ladislaus. Above them are scenes in relief and the Papal and town coat-of-arms.
The Calvary and the Church of St. Cross were built after 1820 on a hill on the western edge of the town. In front of the access to the path of the cross, with 14 walled chapels, stands a simple rectangular chapel of the Suffering Christ. The interior is decorated by an image of the valediction of Christ taking leave of his mother. On the chapel is a linked line of the stations, decorated with reliefs from a polychromatic metal plate.
In 1825 the Church of St. Cross (GPS: 48.419671,18.635284) was built on the Calvary – as a Classicist single-nave building with a tower built into the gabled facade. The Baroque oval picture of the suffering of Christ was brought to the church from the chapel. The two bells were procured by the Nova Bana funereal brotherhood. The main motif of the altar is the Crucifixion. The procession to the Calvary still takes place, according to tradition – on the Wednesday before Maundy Thursday and on the Sunday after the 20th of August on the anniversary of the consecration.
Kohutovo (GPS: 48.43101,18.647699) - a place of pilgrimage thanks to the origin of the discovery of its profuse spring of water during a period of great drought in 1863. This place was declared as merciful by Banska Bystrica bishop Stefan Moyzes in June 1866. A neo-Gothic chapel was built in 1869 from the offerings of pilgrims. A small botanical garden encircles it. Pilgrimages traditionally take place here in May and in September on the Marian holiday.
The Zvonicka (GPS: 48.253652,18.384708) recreational grounds were formed around the bell tower from 1874, in which two bells from the workshop of Jozef Pozdech are placed. It belongs to the Kohutovo pilgrimage site.
The mining chapel (GPS: 48.255650,18.381823) was built in 1822 in honour of St. Anne on "Stary Handel". A mass was held here each year on the day of St. Anne (26 July). In 1929 a new altar stone was ceremonially placed into the chapel. On the altar there are polychromatic figures of miners – torch bearers.
The mining house on Vrsky (GPS: 48.255406,18.382460), a cultural landmark. The house is characterised by the balcony, passing around the facade up to halfway along the long wall of the building.
The mining house on Moyzesova Street (GPS: 48.253701,18.381979), a cultural landmark, is located above the crossroads of Moyzesova and Sturova Streets. The nearly 200-year old house is the remainder of the original folk architecture in the centre of town. There is a nice view of it from Banicke namestie (Mining Square).
Monument on the square (GPS: 48.252841,18.382194), a cultural landmark.
The statue group with figures of partisans and a soldier in larger-than-life size by Jan Hucek was unveiled in. 1952 in honour of 29 victims of Nova Bana inhabitants during the Second World War.
The mining wagon – “hunt” (GPS:48.255621,18.381735)
From the first of May 2008 the mining wagon – “hunt”, which recalls the mining history of Nova Bana not only for Nova Bana residents, but also other visitors, was added to the board. It is located near the mining chapel on Moyzesova Street.
The Trojkralova stolna (Three Kings Tunnel) (GPS: 48.255924,18.382064); the ceremonial opening of the renovated Three Kings Mining Tunnel took place on 26 September 2008. The Three Kings Tunnel, from a historical point of view on gold mining in Nova Bana, undoubtedly belonged among the richest. In the past there were few attempts to protect and preserve this landmark and proposals for repair of the entrance to the tunnel and its securing from decaying. In connection to this we should mention at least the attempt by significant regional historian and author of the monograph A History of Nova Bana, PhDr. Alexander Zrebeny, who in 1980 published a proposal for recording the Three Kings tunnel to the central list of landmarks, which, however, it could not be carried out. Today we can say that even though it was a small step, it was important on this complicated path.
The Hronska dedicná stolna (The Hron Heritage Tunnel) (Graner-Neufang) served several generations of miners especially for minedrainage in the northern Nova Bana ore fields in the Vrskov and Najfangu regions. It also served as an important mining horizon on the level of the Hron (approximately 200 m a.s.l.). The entrance of the tunnel is located in the Hron Valley, in the fenced-in area of the Knauf Insulation enterprise (GPS: 48.243748,18.383074). Its portal was reconstructed in 2002.
The Church of the Rosary of the Virgin Mary (GPS: 48.252682,18.344698) in Stara Huta, a cultural landmark, was built in 1814. This is a Baroque-classicist single-nave building with a polygonal end. The facades are divided by pilasters; the interior is vaulted by a barrel lunette vault.
The Church of St. Maria Goretti (GPS: 48.250009,18.342299) at Bukovina is among the newest in the Nova Bana region. It was consecrated on 6 July 1995.
Zamcisko (GPS: 48.252775,18.332865), a cultural landmark. This archaeological locality – a hill-fort – is located in the forested terrain above the hamlet of Stara Huta and Bukovina, perhaps 8 km to the west of Nova Bana. The remains of the gigantic fortification system – the embankment and ditches – with a total area of fortified surface of about 7 ha, are still visible today. The fortified hill-fort obviously served the surrounding citizens as a sanctuary in periods of restlessness.
The territory of the micro region is rich in cultural landmarks. The town of Nova Bana as well as each village has something to offer visitors. Most of them are sacred buildings and statues.
On the territory of the village of Brehy is the Church of St. Joseph–Foster Father (GPS: 48.242096,18.390246) built in 1786. Brehy native, priest and nationalist Jozef Janovsky had it built.
The most impressive building in Hronsky Benadik is the Benedictine monastery (GPS: 48.204217,18.332922), built before the year 1075. It faithfully reflects the history of its nearly thousand years of existence. Other cultural landmarks in this village are the Church of St. Egidius the Abbot, the Calvary statue group, the post-Great Moravia hill-fort on Benadicka skala (rock) and the Zupna (plague) chapel.
In the village of Mala Lehota, with its characteristic buildings scattered over several hamlets, is the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary (GPS: 48.49801,18.568441), which was built in 1820.
The parish church in the village of Rudno nad Hronom has an ancient history. Today’s Church of St. Imrich (GPS: 48.255231,18.410518) is located on the site of an older building in the years 1802-1803.
The Archbishop of Esztergom had the medieval castle in Tekovska Breznica built (GPS: 48.224295,18.373874). The first written mention of the castle dates from 1273. Today only fragments of the walling remain. The Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary stands on the site of a medieval chapel in this village. It has been rebuilt and renovated numerous times.
The territory of the village of Tekovske Nemce (GPS: 48.212618,18.315233) shows traces of a prehistoric settlement from the later stone age. The Church of All Saints, a cultural monument, was built in the 18th century on the site of the original older church.
The Church of St. Martin Bishop (GPS: 48.272845,18.333413) in Velka Lehota was built in 1809 on the site of an older church. Statues from the 19th century are preserved in it and a hanging picture from the end of the 18th century.
The most interesting building in the village of Voznica is the ancestral tunnel of Joseph II (also known as Voznická I.) (GPS: 48.273941,18.415178), which was built in the years 1782 to 1878. It served for drainage of the Banska Stiavnica-Hodrusa mines, in which gold, silver and copper were mined. Another similar object is the ancestral tunnel Voznica II., which was built in the second half of the 20th century.
There is also a Roman Catholic Church of St. Katherine of Alexander (GPS: 48.274215,18.415916) in Voznica; it was built in 1842.